[ntp:questions] Re: Specifying command line parameters for ntpd running as a w2k service?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Jan 21 15:47:12 UTC 2005

mayer at gis.net wrote:
> No, there is no specific key you can set for a service to automatically
> read and pass. The basic design of services assumes a Windows-centric
> view where all keys can be read directly out of the registry and it
> doesn't need to pass any command line options. Getting around this
> problem is a chore.

I'm currently looking at how this could be implemented the best way.

Assuming we already have added a Windows registry key which contains a
string of command line parameters, e.g. "-g -L" OR "-gL".

Normally if ntpd starts as service it would read the registry key and
evaluate the contents of the registry key string.

However, ntpd can also be run from a command line. Depending on the actual
command line parameters, it can stay in the foreground, or start itself as
service.

What would be the preferred behaviour in this case:

- get the arguments from the command line, and read the parameters from the
registry only if does not stay in the foreground

- always get arguments from the registry, then from the command line, which
made it possible to override arguments from the registry

- anything else

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Martin
--