[ntp:questions] Re: announce: NTP FAQ v3.8

John R. Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Jan 21 16:20:46 UTC 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>     However, I think the point of this discussion was to try to come up
> with better ways to express the small values that Ulrich was talking
> about, without getting away from standard terminology.

For what it's worth, in the precise time/frequency community straight
scientific notation is normally used for frequency offsets and time
differences.  PPM is mainly used in (relatively) non-precision applications.

Common expressions of a frequency error might be 1.5x10e-10, or "1.5
parts in 10e10" though that second usage is more common in speech than
in formal writing.  In both cases, superscripts are used if available.

John