[ntp:questions] Re: Specifying command line parameters for ntpd running as a w2k service?

You have no need to know anjahnoaoed at fl.net.invalid
Sat Jan 22 12:19:42 UTC 2005

Abandoning the right to remain silent, mayer at Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:52:32
-0800 said:

> You have no need to know wrote:
>> Abandoning the right to remain silent, mayer at Wed, 19 Jan 2005
> 10:34:55
>> -0800 said:

>> > 15:05:05

>> > wouldn't
> any
>> >>
>> > You don't need to get the config file. That will be a separate key
>> > in the registry. BIND already does it this way. So far the location
>> > has been hard-coded and that needs to change.
>>
>> You are thinking in the windows-centric world. The config file
> directive
>> is equally applicable to other platforms.
>>

> No I'm not. In Unix, you specify the config file in the startup script
> in case you want to change the default location/name. In Windows the
> new
> installer asks you for the location of the config file separately from
> any parameters you want to add. That way you don't have to worry about
> the other arguments. It simplifies a lot of things.

In the non-windows world you can put args on the command line in the
startup script, so the ability to put args in a config file directive
would be a convenience.

>From this thread you can not pass args to a service, so you have to either
have a registry key, or as I suggested, a config file directive.

Going the config file way makes for consistency. The fewer registry keys,
the harder Windows is to stuff up. There have even been rumours M$ has
seen the light and may go back to individual applications having their own
config files.

--
Avoid reality at all costs.
$email =~ s/n(.)a(.)n(.)a(.)e(.+)invalid/$1$2$3$4$5au/;