[ntp:questions] 'summary.in' and 'plot_summary.in

John R. Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Jan 24 19:14:24 UTC 2005

Nigel Smith wrote:
> I am looking for ways to analyze and graph the statistics generated by
> NTP and came across the two perl files 'summary.in' and
> 'plot_summary.in' in the scripts directory of ntp-4.2.0.tar.gz
>
> Is any one else using these scripts? What is your experience with them?
>
> When I try analyzing my statistics, with 'summary.in', I am getting a
> few error lines like this:
> Can't take sqrt of -384.314 at /root/summary.pl line 326.
> Can't take sqrt of -427.51 at /root/summary.pl line 326.
> Can't take sqrt of -1.63582e+08 at /root/summary.pl line 326.
>
> How worried should I be by these errors? What could be causing them?
> Has any one got a fix for the code?
>
> Can anyone recommend any other good ways to analyze and graph the
> statistics file, both on a daily basis and also more long term
> analysis?

I think those are fairly ancient scripts that haven't been touched in a
long time.  I wrote my own scripts to parse out jitter and offset data
for specific reference clocks, using grace to plot the results.  There's
a link to the tools at http://www.febo.com/stats/ntp/index.html (and you
can see the output on that page).

John