[ntp:questions] Re: ntp.drift

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Jan 25 08:45:27 UTC 2005

Walter HILL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sun Blade 100 workstation running Linux 2.4.27 and have
> compiled and installed ntpd
>
> The computer has been running for several weeks yet the ntp.drift file
> still contains 0.000. Yes ntp.conf contains
>
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
>
> The computer was losing about 2s / hour prior.
>
> Is there another parameter required in ntp.conf?

No.

There are 2 things you could check:

1.) Has the NTP daemon synchronized to some time source other than "local
clock", i.e. is there a '*' in the first column of the output ot the
command "ntpq -p"? If in doubt, please post that output here.

2.) Is the NTP daemon running chrooted? Then the directory "var/lib/ntp/"
must exist below the chroot jail directory and be writeable for the daemon.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren