[ntp:questions] ntpd and multimedia timers, Win2K, XP

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Jan 26 22:24:55 UTC 2005

At 1:24 PM -0800 2005-01-26, Greg555 wrote:

>  When the application doesn't use multimedia timers - the clock is +-4
>  ms from GPS clock. The system is running on very low CPU usage
>  (10-15%).

	I don't know anything about "multimedia timers", but Windows is
known to be seriously broken when it comes to dropping interrupts,
etc....  You will find that ntpd does what it can in the face of such
serious problems, but there's only so much it can do.

	If "multimedia timers" cause such problems for you, is there a
particular reason you use them?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755