[ntp:questions] Re: ntp.drift

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Thu Jan 27 23:28:41 UTC 2005

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Walter HILL wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a Sun Blade 100 workstation running Linux 2.4.27 and have
>>compiled and installed ntpd
>>
>>The computer has been running for several weeks yet the ntp.drift file
>>still contains 0.000. Yes ntp.conf contains
>>
>>driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
>>
>>The computer was losing about 2s / hour prior.
>>
>>Is there another parameter required in ntp.conf?
>

> No.
>
> There are 2 things you could check:
>
> 1.) Has the NTP daemon synchronized to some time source other than "local
> clock", i.e. is there a '*' in the first column of the output ot the
> command "ntpq -p"? If in doubt, please post that output here.
>
> 2.) Is the NTP daemon running chrooted? Then the directory "var/lib/ntp/"
> must exist below the chroot jail directory and be writeable for the daemon.
>

> Martin

Don't know what operating systems those machines run.
On a few Linux systems, ntpd was hacked to run under user id
"ntp", but the install forgot to make directory /var/lib/ntp and/or
the file ntp.drift writeable by user "ntp".  If the system
is Unix/Linux, check the user running ntpd by use of the "ps"
utility.  Then use "ls -l" to check ownership and privileges
on /var/lib/ntp and /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift.