[ntp:questions] Re: HELP: NTP synchronization problem

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Fri Jan 28 13:56:46 UTC 2005

amitos wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a windows 2003 server which is a PDC. I thought everything was
> well configured, but unfortunately - computers of the domain are not
> synchronized with it (2 minutes diff) and I egt this warning in the
> event log:
>
> Product: Windows Operating System
> ID: 36
> Source: W32Time
> Version: 5.2
> Symbolic Name: MSG_TIME_SOURCE_NONE
> Message: The time service has not synchronized the system time for %1
> seconds because none of the time service providers provided a usable
> time stamp. The time service is no longer synchronized and cannot
> provide the time to other clients or update the system clock. Monitor
> the system events displayed in the Event Viewer to make sure that a
> more serious problem does not exist.
> I don't know what to do. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Amit

By default most Windows time services are configured to contact
Microsoft's time server at time.microsoft.com (IIRC). You may well
be blocking this. I'm rather suspicious of the error message
which has a %1 in it that has not been replaced. That means that
the software developer did not use the message resource correctly
and may have actually meant to use a different message. Hard to
tell without seeing the source. As others hasve said Windows SNTP
is badly broken but it's hard to know what this problem is. The
easier solution is to install the NTP Windows binary, turn off
w32time and use that.

Danny