[ntp:questions] Broadcast client question (no reverse link)

Ben Gamsa ben at somanetworks.com
Fri Jan 28 18:45:33 UTC 2005

I've asked a variant on this before, but so far I've not suceeded in finding
quite what I'm looking for, or in modifying the ntp source to do what I'd
like.

Essentially, what I'd like is an ntp client that uses a broadcast ntp server,
without ever trying to communicate with the server, without waiting for a
dozen broadcasts to trust the time server, and without second-guessing the
server if the server's time is hours, days, or even years off of the client time.
Essentially, I'm looking for a way to get ntpd to do the intelligent
frequency correction work that avoids the need for time adjustments,  but that
will blindly use the time it gets from the server, no matter what.

I've tried variants with the novolley change and other modifications, but
ntpd can still get into a state where it will stop listening to the server,
either due to the time being too far off, or communication problems when it
later decided it needs to exchange messages with the server.

Any pointers or suggestions would be much appreciated.