[ntp:questions] radioclk DCF doubling

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Jul 5 23:53:14 UTC 2005

At 10:49 AM +0200 2005-07-05, Serge Bets wrote:

>  Hello men,

	Note that there are probably also some women on this list/group.

>  Now the idea: Patch radioclkd to feed 2 SHM slots with same values from
>  only 1 receiver, and declare:
>
>  | server 127.127.28.0	maxpoll 6	prefer
>  | fudge 127.127.28.0	time1 0.020	refid DCF1
>  | server 127.127.28.1	maxpoll 10
>  | fudge 127.127.28.1	time1 0.020	refid DCF2

	With a refclock, I don't think that setting the minpoll/maxpoll
values has any effect.  I think that those values are hard-coded.
Our issue with refclocks in the past has been that when you have a
refclock attached to your system, the maxpoll gets hard-coded at 64s
for all configured servers or peers, because the hard-code value for
refclocks over-rides any other calculated or specified value.

>  Hoping this will give me low offsets *and* 2 hours autonomy. What do you
>  think about this idea? Doable, good, or stupid? Is "prefer" wanted?
>  Other better solutions? And am I overpricing offset in front of jitter?

	IMO, you're better off configuring a LocalCLK at a higher
stratum, and letting that carry you while you wait for DCF to come
back.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755