[ntp:questions] Re: Windows Installer for NTP

Pete Stephenson pete+usenet at heypete.com
Wed Jul 13 19:29:03 UTC 2005

In article <4u6fq2-0kv.ln1 at gateway.py.meinberg.de>,
 Heiko Gerstung <heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de> wrote:

> Thanks to all of you who already sent feedback and/or comments.

I just gave it a shot, but after running it for about half an hour from
known-good servers it was still 108 seconds off (even though the Win32
time service kept it synced properly[1]). It was >1min slow compared to
my WWVB clock on the wall here.

Unfortunately, I don't have that much time (har har) to poke around with
it right now, so I uninstalled it (but kept the installer handy for
later experimenting). Does the uninstaller script automatically undo all
the changes that were made while installing (i.e. creating the "ntp"
user, re-enabling the Win32 time service, etc.)?

Looks like a good piece of software to have. I have an old Cobalt RaQ3
that is serving time right now, but I've been having a remarkable amount
of difficulty upgrading it to a new, updated version of Linux that will
run a modern version of ntpd. I have a Windows machine that's on all the
time here, which would make an excellent server in addition to my Mac OS
X machine which is used as my main workstation (and is thus unsuitable
for such services).

I'll definitely have to play with this a bit more. Thanks!

[1] Within the limits of the Win32 time service checking every 7 days.

--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com