[ntp:questions] Re: Windows Installer for NTP

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Wed Jul 13 21:10:09 UTC 2005

Hi Pete,

thank you for your comments and feedback, I really appreciate that.

Pete Stephenson wrote:
> In article <4u6fq2-0kv.ln1 at gateway.py.meinberg.de>,
> [...] I just gave it a shot, but after running it for about half an hour from
> known-good servers it was still 108 seconds off (even though the Win32
> time service kept it synced properly[1]). It was >1min slow compared to
> my WWVB clock on the wall here.

Mmmh, would be interesting to see your stats (e.g. ntpq -p output and
stuff).

> Unfortunately, I don't have that much time (har har) to poke around with
> it right now, so I uninstalled it (but kept the installer handy for
> later experimenting). Does the uninstaller script automatically undo all
> the changes that were made while installing (i.e. creating the "ntp"
> user, re-enabling the Win32 time service, etc.)?
I decided not to delete the ntp user as I cannot find out if something
else is relating on the existence (you might have created not only a ntp
user but one who is used for several background tasks and the installer
cannot find out). Re-enabling the time service sounds like a good idea
(better than using no synchronization at all), I could add a dialog
showing up at uninstall time: "During installation the W32 Time Service
has been disabled. Do you want to turn it on again? [YES] [NO]" ...

> Looks like a good piece of software to have. I have an old Cobalt RaQ3
> that is serving time right now, but I've been having a remarkable amount
> of difficulty upgrading it to a new, updated version of Linux that will
> run a modern version of ntpd. I have a Windows machine that's on all the
> time here, which would make an excellent server in addition to my Mac OS
> X machine which is used as my main workstation (and is thus unsuitable
> for such services).

As we all know (do we?), Windows is not the best OS to be used for time
keeping, but I guess you do not need sub-second accuracy, so why not?

> I'll definitely have to play with this a bit more. Thanks!

Yes, check it out. I love to receive more feedback from all of you.

Kind regards,
Heiko