[ntp:questions] Re: Linux NTP server problems serving time.

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Sat Jul 16 10:31:35 UTC 2005

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net> wrote in message
news:42D86196.5050105 at gis.net...
[...]
> Rule #1 of NTP is that you need at least 3 servers. You only specified
> one. It's not going to be able to work this way.

Nonsense. I would use a stronger word if you were someone else.

NTP disciplines and synchronises a clock. It does this based on
information about other clocks. If it has information about only
one other clock, it will simply track it. But this does _not_ break
the chain to a reference clock.

With a single server, you don't really know how far out it is, but
with three servers you don't really know if you have one falseticker
or two colluding ones either.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink