[ntp:questions] Re: Cannot synchronize to server with local clock

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Tue Jul 19 08:59:16 UTC 2005

Hello Danny,

 On Monday, July 18, 2005 at 5:30:50 PM +0000, Danny Mayer wrote:

> [refid] HAPPENS TO BE an IPv4 address. It is NOT true for IPv6 and we
> will be changing it in the future to not use the IPv4 address.

I don't use IPv6, and prefered the good old xntp times when IPv4 refids
were displayed as machine names. That's progress I suppose.

>> If your system clock is really correctly disciplined by an external
>> app, then you could fudge it to stratum 0.
> You should never do that.

I agree, but drivers/driver1.html says:

| when an external discipline source is available, such as [...] the
| Digital Time Synchronization Service (DTSS), which runs on DCE
| machines. In this case the stratum should be set at zero, indicating a
| bona fide stratum-1 source.

Serge.