[ntp:questions] Re: Cannot synchronize to server with local clock

Tim tim at mail.localhost.invalid
Wed Jul 20 12:02:31 UTC 2005

Serge Bets <serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid> posted:

> And AFAICS in ntpd a local clock driver will never change it's stratum
> by itself, just take default 5 or what user fudges.

I did some experimenting a few weeks back.  I have dial-up internet, so my
network is only ever on the net some of the time.  I had that machine run a
local clock, since the machine is always running, and used it as the clock
server for my LAN (so they all stayed in step with each other).  If I
remember correctly, its stratum changed from 16 when unsynced, to one less
than the source it uses for synchronising (when in sync with it).  Which I
thought was how it's supposed to work.

For what it's worth, the experiment was futile, as well as flawed, before
someone points it out to me.  My server was off-line for so long each day
that it's stratum would drop to 16 for most of the time, making it useless
as a reference for my LAN (they'll ignore it).  And secondly, the computers
keep time well enough, just free wheeling along individually, that they
could carry on as they were until the next time the LAN was connected to
the internet.

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary).  But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.