[ntp:questions] Re: Cannot synchronize to server with local clock

Tim tim at mail.localhost.invalid
Thu Jul 21 02:07:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:06:18 +0200, Martin Burnicki wrote:

> I think there's a little misunderstanding here.

Yes, it seems so.  Your explanation has prompted me to have another go at
doing it, I think I can do it properly, now.

Ironically enough, I tried replying last night, but while typing the power
went out.  Of course we all know what I, then, had to spend the next few
minutes doing around the house.  If only automatically synchronised
stand-alone clocks didn't cost so much, and weren't so hard to get...  ;-)

>> And secondly, the computers keep time well enough, just free wheeling
>> along individually, that they could carry on as they were until the next
>> time the LAN was connected to the internet.

> This basically depends on the quality of your computers' clocks, i.e. how
> much they drift, and the time offset you or your applications can accept.

Interestingly enough, the hardware clocks on at least two of my PCs are
the most accurate clocks in the house.  One's usually within a second or
two if checked every other month or so.  It was better than the software
clock, and I was so tempted to take the line out of the file in Linux that
syncs the hardware clock to the software clock at shutdown.  It made
things worse (I wasn't using NTP, then).

I really don't know why they put such shoddy clocks in PCs, it's not as if
good digital clock circuitry is hard to do, nor prohibitively expensive.
We've had some damn good, and cheap, electronic wristwatches for a few
decades, by now.

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary).  But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.