[ntp:questions] Re: How long do I have to wait for sync?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Wed Jun 1 15:20:40 UTC 2005

Keerati Inochanon wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> message news:GAdne.43144$G8.6443 at text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Keerati Inochanon wrote:
>> []
>>> ntpq -p on the slaves shows:
>>> remote        refid        st t when poll reach    delay    offset
>>> jitter ===============================================
>>> master.name    .INIT.      16 u  -      64    0         0.000  0.000
>>> 4000.00
>>
>> The "0" value for reach says the slave cannot connect to the master.
>> As a starter, try the command:
>>
>>  ntpq -p master
>>
>> from one of the slaves to see if there is a connectivity issue.
>
> Doing the command
>
> ntpq -p master
>
> on the slave works just fine. It prints out exactly the same thing as
> doing the command on the master machine. However, doing ntpq -p on
> the slave still give the same result with the refid of the master
> being .INIT. and in stratum 16.
>
> Any thoughts?

Well, I have seen something similar on the systems here (Windows XP,
Window 2000) when they have intermittent contact with some servers outside
the LAN, but good connectivity with servers inside the LAN.  This seems to
be an intermittent problem, though, and it's not /all/ servers outside the
LAN which get disconnected.  Even with the machines on continuously,
sometimes it's OK one day and faulty the next.  Never been able to pin
that one down.

Next question - any restrict or notrust or similar lines in your
ntpd.conf?  You didn't show any, so perhaps there aren't any!

Is the IP address of the master correct?

Perhaps you are expecting too much?  It could take a couple of minutes for
the master to get into the synched state (shown by the "*" against one of
the master's servers), and only after that will the slaves start to see
the master as a suitable source of time.  (I think this is the case,
others will correct me).

The other thought is that NTP is best suited to systems which are left on
all the time, so at least the server connected to the internet should run
continously.  Having said that, NTP works just fine on my portable, which
is switched off most of the time.

Sorry not to help more...

Cheers,
David