[ntp:questions] Re: Need ntpdate *tool* not *counselor*

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Jun 1 17:41:21 UTC 2005

On 2005-05-31, Brian T. Brunner <brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com> wrote:

>> The only time that ntpdate complains about a server stratum is
>> when that time server is operating at stratum 16 because it is not
>> synchronized to anything.

<snip>

> It is FAR more important that we (alarm servers) all have the same
> time, which is the Masters, than that we have the "correct" time
> which is different from the Master's time. This is why the counsel of
> ntpdate should NOT be accepted.
>
> So I want ntpdate to have a '-f' flag to force my time to this stratum
> 16 Master, because that's what I must accomplish.

<snip>

> I'll try rdate, and consider ntp/ntpdate uselessly picky.

Here's another solution that you can use: Configure the currently
unsynchronized master to use its local clock as a ref-clock. Then the
master will be able to claim that it is synchronized to _something_ and
ntpdate will be happy.

Add this to the ntp.conf on the currently unsynchronized master:

server 127.127.1.0
fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Keep in mind that it will take ~8 minutes for ntpd to "synchronize"
its self to the LocalCLK.