[ntp:questions] Re: Stratum problem with non-handled clock

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Thu Jun 2 04:08:23 UTC 2005

"Christophe Greisberger" <greisberger at zenon-media.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.50.1117683487.91305.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org...

> I'm using a Gorgy radio clock (http://www.gorgy-timing.fr/eng/index2.htm)
> synchronize a Windows server.

    So the server's local time is actually synchronized from an external
source? Can you be more specific about what the source of time is for the
reference clock and how it communicates this to the computer?

> I have a problem: both Windows' own time server and ntp cannot realize
> that
> I have an exact clock and set the stratum to 16.
> Is there any ntp.conf tweak to force the stratum to a lower value?

    You can fudge the local reference clock to a lower stratum, but this is
dangerous because NTP has no way to know whether the reference clock is
working or not.

    DS