[ntp:questions] Re: How long do I have to wait for sync?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Thu Jun 2 07:57:45 UTC 2005

Keerati Inochanon wrote:
[]
>> Is the IP address of the master correct?
>
> Yes.. actually... no..
> I was about to say yes.. then I decided to check.. and then the
> answer is no. The IP address much have changed by dhcp. I have always
> assumed that it did not change as the ntpq -p always show the correct
> reverse resolved name of the ip. I guess it must be in the cache..
> (now I feel dumb).
[]

>> Sorry not to help more...
>
> You actually helped with the sanity check =) Thank you very much! I
> appreciate it!
>
> Best regards,
> Keerati

Keerati, you are welcome.  Sometimes you simply have to step back from the
problem and start from scratch.  I asked because in all of my ntpd.conf
files I have names and not IP addresses.

In my own small network, by the way, I have fixed IP addresses and avoid
DHCP.  I have made the router start at 192.168.0.100 (or whatever) so
there is a space of clear addresses in the 192.168.0.1..99 range that I
can assign myself.  I have around 10 PCs.  This means that I use the HOSTS
file to assign names to numbers.

Cheers,
David