[ntp:questions] Re: Need ntpdate *tool* not *counselor*

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Thu Jun 2 13:09:02 UTC 2005

What part of "2 hours by helicopter from Kuala Lumpur" did you not
recognize as indicating exactly that?  We Be Isolated!

Those 2 hours are spent over water btw.

Kazakhstan was not a joke... I've gotten Startup & Service calls from
that part of the world.

Never in the nice clean cities (*cough*), we're at the well-farm/storage-farm/refinery
plant  way out that-a-way from anything we'd call a nice clean city.

We're also onboard drilling ships way-out-wherever.  We're also on floating
(anchored) well-head->holding docks for passing tankers in probably a thousand
feet of water.  Getting more remote requires a wet suit, or a hard vacuum suit,
or a high tolerance for breathing difficulties.

So, yes, we're an isolated not-work(sic) w.r.t. synching time with
anything else on this planet.  Evolution being what it is, a desire for
satellite-based time feed will eventually trickle down this industry to the
point that there will be some reliable time master such that logs can be
compared between two distant ships/plants.  For now, getting the several
embedded alarm processors and their master agreeing what the time is
not only suffices, it is the best I can hope for.

Some folk have suggested having the Stratum16 Master lie helpfully by
claiming Stratum10 status so that we'll all be equally wrong together, and
our records will then agree.  Good suggestion, prima facie; now I'm trying
to figure out how to make a WinXp{home|pro} system serve time a-la-RFC
for *any* version of (Linux) ntp.

Best results so far in this direction is by disabling Windows Time Service
and installing & auto-starting the freeware "Absolute Time Server".

How to configure the WinXp box to assert that it is a Stratum10
device is still in the fog.

rdate may prove fruitful also, if time zone issues can be resolved.

P.S. These system have no operator, ever.  The linux kernel has no console.
The startup & Service folk can putty in via etherlan, and edit a flat text
configuration file to add or remove '#' comment characters...

....if I ask for more than that they start sharpening knives and asking
me if my passport is up to date.  They'll make sure I get the necessary shots...

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

----- Original Message Follows -----
> Actually I wrote to questions at lists.ntp.isc.org

I somehow doubt that your systems are so isolated that
you never want to be able to integrate logs with other systems.

Danny

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated