[ntp:questions] Re: Need ntpdate *tool* not *counselor*

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Jun 2 15:10:33 UTC 2005

"Brian T. Brunner" <brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.52.1117717773.91305.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org...

> What part of "2 hours by helicopter from Kuala Lumpur" did you not
> recognize as indicating exactly that?  We Be Isolated!

Good! Your GPS antenna will have less occlusion.

> [...] Getting more remote requires a wet suit, or a hard vacuum
> suit, or a high tolerance for breathing difficulties.

Say hello to the Interplanetary Internet. NTP has been to Mars.
Okay, back to serious (although it has really been to Mars, but
that's obviously of no use to you, and GPS may not, either).

[...]
> Some folk have suggested having the Stratum16 Master lie helpfully
> by claiming Stratum10 status so that we'll all be equally wrong
> together, and our records will then agree.  Good suggestion, prima
> facie; now I'm trying to figure out how to make a WinXp{home|pro}
> system serve time a-la-RFC for *any* version of (Linux) ntp.

That's actually quite easy. Disable the w32time service, install NTP,
and tell it to consider its local clock a stratum 10 reference clock.
That's a three-line ntp.conf containing "drift ntp.drift", "server
127.127.1.0", "fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10". The drift file is
optional but it's generally a good idea. Without a path, my drift
file ends up in system32 which is fine with me.

Start the service and _wait_ twenty minutes. That's the hard part
for most people; it may in fact render this impractical for you, I
don't know.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink