Using BIND - was Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How long do I have towait for sync?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Fri Jun 3 13:36:00 UTC 2005

mayer wrote:
[]
> I'm not trying to convince you, it's up to you to make you own
> decisions on what makes sense on your own network. I just strongly
> recommend against
> using a hosts file as it's error prone, requires repropogation, is
> vunerable to viruses and can generally not be relied on. One virus I
> saw going around last year made use of it to add bad addresses of all
> of the various virus makers making it impossible to contact them to
> download new virus definition files. Centralized management of your
> host names and addresses is a much better idea. In fact, just this
> week, ACM Sigcomm announced that it had awarded Paul Mockapetris a
> lifetime achievement award:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4599147.stm for creating DNS.
> It was originally written on a DECSystem-20 in Pascal.
>
> Yes I am prejudiced since I wrote the Windows port of BIND 9.
>
> Danny

Danny, thanks for that.

Given your bias and interest, were I to wish to follow this up, and to try
and finish this now off-topic conversation:

- where do I download BIND 9 for Windows?
- where can I find the documentation and noddy setup guide?
- does it run as a service?
- does it run on Windows NT 4?
- does it allow multiple up-stream servers (like client software)?
- does it need to be registered with up-stream servers?
  (presumably not for read-only access).

Cheers,
David