Using BIND - was Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How long do I have towait for sync?

mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jun 3 16:10:38 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> mayer wrote:
> []
> > I'm not trying to convince you, it's up to you to make you own
> > decisions on what makes sense on your own network. I just strongly
> > recommend against
> > using a hosts file as it's error prone, requires repropogation, is
> > vunerable to viruses and can generally not be relied on. One virus I
> > saw going around last year made use of it to add bad addresses of
> > all of the various virus makers making it impossible to contact them
> > to download new virus definition files. Centralized management of
> > your host names and addresses is a much better idea. In fact, just
> > this week, ACM Sigcomm announced that it had awarded Paul
> > Mockapetris a lifetime achievement award:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4599147.stm for creating DNS.
> > It was originally written on a DECSystem-20 in Pascal.
> >
> > Yes I am prejudiced since I wrote the Windows port of BIND 9.
> >
> > Danny
>
> Danny, thanks for that.
>
> Given your bias and interest, were I to wish to follow this up, and to
> try  and finish this now off-topic conversation:
>
> - where do I download BIND 9 for Windows?

http://www.isc.org/

There are both Binaries for Windows and the tarball for the source.
It builds with both VS 6.0 and .NET.

> - where can I find the documentation and noddy setup guide?

It's in the kit. There's an installer to set it up.

> - does it run as a service?

Yes.

> - does it run on Windows NT 4?

It should. I no longer have NT 4 to test that but it comes
with the prerequisite binaries.

> - does it allow multiple up-stream servers (like client software)?

If you mean forwarders then yes though you don't need forwarders
normally.

> - does it need to be registered with up-stream servers?

To do what?

>   (presumably not for read-only access).

A DNS server just serves DNS records. It you are asking about
recursion it depends on the IP address the request comes from
and how the admin has set up the server to allow or not allow
recursion from that address range.

Danny