Using BIND - was Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How long do I havetowait for sync?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Fri Jun 3 17:21:31 UTC 2005

mayer wrote:
> ----- Original Message Follows -----
>> mayer wrote:
>> []
>>> I'm not trying to convince you, it's up to you to make you own
>>> decisions on what makes sense on your own network. I just strongly
>>> recommend against
>>> using a hosts file as it's error prone, requires repropogation, is
>>> vunerable to viruses and can generally not be relied on. One virus I
>>> saw going around last year made use of it to add bad addresses of
>>> all of the various virus makers making it impossible to contact them
>>> to download new virus definition files. Centralized management of
>>> your host names and addresses is a much better idea. In fact, just
>>> this week, ACM Sigcomm announced that it had awarded Paul
>>> Mockapetris a lifetime achievement award:
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4599147.stm for creating DNS.
>>> It was originally written on a DECSystem-20 in Pascal.
>>>
>>> Yes I am prejudiced since I wrote the Windows port of BIND 9.
>>>
>>> Danny
>>
>> Danny, thanks for that.
>>
>> Given your bias and interest, were I to wish to follow this up, and
>> to try  and finish this now off-topic conversation:
>>
>> - where do I download BIND 9 for Windows?
>
> http://www.isc.org/
>
> There are both Binaries for Windows and the tarball for the source.
> It builds with both VS 6.0 and .NET.
>
>> - where can I find the documentation and noddy setup guide?
>
> It's in the kit. There's an installer to set it up.
>
>> - does it run as a service?
>
> Yes.
>
>> - does it run on Windows NT 4?
>
> It should. I no longer have NT 4 to test that but it comes
> with the prerequisite binaries.
>
>> - does it allow multiple up-stream servers (like client software)?
>
> If you mean forwarders then yes though you don't need forwarders
> normally.
>
>> - does it need to be registered with up-stream servers?
>
> To do what?
>
>>   (presumably not for read-only access).
>
> A DNS server just serves DNS records. It you are asking about
> recursion it depends on the IP address the request comes from
> and how the admin has set up the server to allow or not allow
> recursion from that address range.
>

> Danny

Danny, many thanks and sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not going ahead
with this.  Why?

- the apparent lack of any online documentation for the Windows version of
BIND

- the lack of any user manual for BIND - at least I didn't see any
pointers on the page:  http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/   I'm not
going to run the installer just to get the documentation - it should be
online like the NTP documents.

- the UNIX-oriented nature of the FAQs

- seeing 50 files in the Zip archive versus the four files I currently
manage.

What I was asking about was this: my present systems all point to multiple
DNS servers on different external networks, so that in the event of one
DNS server going down I can still resolve using the other servers.  Does
BIND possess a similar multiple-master capability?  In the DNS
implementations I have run in the past (some time ago), there was a single
master to which my server linked, not multiple masters.

I am grateful for the pointers you have given, but it seems that it's a
sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Cheers,
David