Using BIND - was Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How long do I havetowaitfor sync?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Fri Jun 3 19:53:30 UTC 2005

mayer wrote:
[]
> DNS is a distributed system. Talking abour multiple masters has no
> meaning in the context that you are discussing. Your clients can
> point to multiple nameservers including this one and they will get
> their responses from whichever one that they query.
[]
> Danny

Danny, I have a misunderstanding here - you seem to be suggesting that I
set up a DNS just to define my 4 PCs, and that my clients (these 4 PCs)
can point to multiple name servers (my new one and an Internet one).
However, Brad says that Windows will only talk to the first name server,
and therefore the DNS I set up will have to provide lookups for both the
addresses of the four local PCs, and the rest of the Internet.

My question about masters refers to this process of my own DNS having to
provide data for the rest of the Internet.  I presume it does this by
querying upstream servers, in a similar way to NTP clients querying their
servers.  The question is: can I define multiple upstream servers (like in
NTP) for reliability?  [It has nothing to do with forwarders - I think].

My comments about wanting to see both a noddy's guide and the Windows
documentation online stand.  That should make them searchable through
Google, for example.

[If this is too off-topic for anyone - just shout and I'll shut up].

Cheers,
David