Using BIND - was Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How long doI havetowaitfor sync?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 5 12:35:34 UTC 2005

David J Taylor wrote:

>Brad Knowles wrote:
>

>[excellent discussion]
>
>What can I say but thanks - I knew many of these things but had forgotten
>some and not encountered others.  The idea of stratum 1 NTP servers simply
>referring you further down the line is a fascinating one!  NTP V5?
>
>Cheers,
>David

Fascinating, but would it really work?  Normally the servers closest to
you are able to supply the time with the least delay and therefore with
with the smallest error.  If all servers kept the same quality of time,
the nearest would be the best choice.

Unfortunately, all servers are not created equal and there are stratum 2
servers out there showing an offset of more than thirty milliseconds
with respect to GPS!

There is also a real shortage of publicly available servers; New Jersey
has only two, both operated by the same company.  Eastern Pennsylvania;
e.g. Philadelphia area, has none.