[ntp:questions] Re: WWV audio driver, FreeBSD, Can't seem to get it going
mayer at gis.net
Tue Jun 7 12:25:33 UTC 2005
Roger, if you can file a bug report with bugzilla and attach
your changes we can ask Dave to look at it and integrate it with
the code base. It sounds like you did an excellent job of
----- Original Message Follows -----
> Hi all.
> I haven't done an update in a week or two, so thought I would update
> everyone on whats going on.
> I bought an SB card, but the snd_driver load didn't even see it, so
> I put the 'white box' special back in. After restarting, I saw lots
> more action. Started getting wwv3 and 4 messages, but it still would
> not quite get happy. After an hour or so, it even lost minute sync
> and did a full restart. Never again did it get any better.
> On a hunch, opening up the case and voila. Hot. Bad fan.
> I replace (er, kludge) some fans. Things get better, for a while,
> and even set the clock once, before getting unhappy. Even days of
> running with s9+ WWV signals would not fully sync.
> So, I start wrapping my head around the refclock_wwv driver.
> (Actually it
> was more like it was wrapping itself around _my_ head, but I digress.
> At least I started understanding the sequence of the debug messages,
> what to watch for. I even added one myself to watch the watchcat
> The WWV docs say the 100Hz 1bps data is at 50% modulation. This does
> not correspond to the source code, so I changed the value of DGAIN
> from 10 to 2. I varified the levels with a scope. It is 50% of the
> tick levels.
> Seems better, but still not there yet.
> Today, in frustration, I find another scrapbin audio card. Another
> one that
> that the snd_driver load wouldn't find. :(
> So, I put the semi-working on back in, rebooted, and I'll be damned.
> It progressed non-stop from Minute sync (took 2 minutes) directly to
> second sync. 3 minutes later it had all the digits. After it had
> seen all the digits with high certainty, it set the clock and stayed
> there. Total elapsed time about 20 minutes. It then proceeded to ramp
> up the audio clock freq updates to 1024 and is happy as a lark!!
> I'm writing this some 5 or 6 hours after the lock. I'm still seeing
> clockstat output like:
> 53528 14520.008 127.127.36.0 0 2005 158 04:02:00 D -6 0 127 WV15 21
> 5 88.0 1024
> 53528 14522.016 127.127.36.0 wwv5 001f 175 4924 3207/34.4 5678/18.2
> WV15 fe91 37 3514/40.0 WH15 0002 19 1895/33.3
> Which is very good. It is starting to take some data hits though.
> It is starting to fall off compared to a few hours ago. This is
> Propagation on 15 Mhz is starting to drop off to CO. 10 would be
> The Traconex receiver is not very agressive at checking better freqs.
> has to really get weak.
> Anyway, I'd like to tune the fudgetime value now to match the GPSs,
> but it probably won't relock. Wish I knew what made it do it today.
More information about the questions