[ntp:questions] Re: WWV audio driver, FreeBSD, Can't seem to get it going

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Jun 7 21:35:57 UTC 2005

Danny,

I didn't read anything in the reports leading me to change anything in
the audio drivers. Their performance has been thoroughly analyzed,
studied and reported in the technical report cited on the driver
documentation page and on the web.

Those parameters that can be changed have been optimized for a
computer-controlled AM communications receiver with bandwidth 2.4 kHz,
which is probably better than what most folks use. However, there is not
much that can be done for less expensive fixed-frequency receivers other
than to note that HF propagation on any particular frequency has been
fairly miserable of late. There is no bug to be fixed; however,
something like the AGC time constant or SNR thresholds might be adjusted
for a particular radio characteristic.

I would be delighted to participate in a technical discussion on the
model and algorithms involved, but best on a sidebar list.

Dave