[ntp:questions] Ntpd accuracy

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Jun 8 08:15:01 UTC 2005

At 2:41 PM +0800 2005-06-08, Eric Liu wrote:

>  We can see that the offset varys in a very large range. How can I make the
>  offset much more regualr?

	There are a lot of variables involved.  One is letting the system
run long enough to gather enough statistical information regarding
clock variability so that ntpd can make better guesses as to what
kinds of changes it should make when it detects that the internal
clock is divergent from the correct time.

>                             After our hard work, can I have 1ms accuracy?

	Maybe, but you'd need to have your own Stratum-1 time sources,
and they'd have to be good quality Stratum-1 time sources.  And that
can get expensive.

>                                                                            If
>  there are many clients(in fact, there will), 1ms accuracy means among all
>  clients, relative to each other.

	To achieve that, you'd probably need good quality Stratum-1 time
sources directly attached to each and every client.  That would be
much more expensive.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755