[ntp:questions] Re: Ntpd accuracy

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Wed Jun 8 08:34:17 UTC 2005

Eric Liu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am testing Nptd on office LAN. The server is my office PC(a dell
> computer, P4 2.8G, 256M RAM, Windows 2000 sp4).

[]
> We can see that the offset varys in a very large range. How can I
> make the offset much more regualr?  After our hard work, can I have
> 1ms accuracy?  If there are many clients(in fact, there will), 1ms
> accuracy means among all clients, relative to each other.

Eric, using your office PC as a reference server isn't a good idea.  One
of the PCs on my networks runs Windows 2000 SP4 and is used an "Office
PC".  The offsets I see are plotted here:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/stamsund_ntp.html

Certain programs completely clobber any accurate timekeeping, including
Sun's JVM.  For comparison, look at a Windows box with no interactive use:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/hermes_ntp.html

Within a millisecond or two is the best I can get.  People report better
accuracies with UNIX servers and GPS reference clocks.  I am using
Internet references via a cable modem connection.  All my PCs are shown
here:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

What reference servers does you Dell PC have?

Cheers,
David