[ntp:questions] Re: Looking for good config doc

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 8 20:01:58 UTC 2005

sblenkhorn at gmail.com wrote:

>I am a relative newbie to Linux and I am looking for a good, easy to
>follow, config doc on getting NTP up and running on RH9.0.
>
>Thanks,
>Sean

Mine was configured as part of the installation!  If you elected not to
configure it then, edit /etc/ntp.conf.

Insert server statements for each internet server you plan to use; e.g.
server 192.168.1.20 iburst
server 192.168.1.31 iburst
server 192.168.1.40 iburst
server 192.168.1.50 iburst

The addresses I used above are bogus!  For lists of of real servers see
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome
Pay close attention to the "rules of engagement" that you will find
somewhere in the neighborhood.
Unless you plan on running a server with several hundred clients, you
will pick servers from the list of stratum two servers or use
pool.ntp.org servers.

That site has lots of good information about ntp including the html docs
for ntp.

Back to your ntp.conf file. . ..
You will need to either comment out  the "restrict default ignore"
statement near the beginning of the file or add restrict statements for
all your chosen servers; e.g.
restrict 192.168.1.20 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap noquery

When you have finished this, as root do:
/etc/init.d/ntpd restart