[ntp:questions] Re: ntpstat versus ntpq -p

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 20:11:39 UTC 2005

In article <1118225244.130834.218030 at g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Davide Bolcioni <db-lto at 3di.it> wrote:

> *ntp1.test.xxx   1.2.3.4     2 u   26  512    77  81.371 885.281 265.723
> +ntp2.other.xx   1.2.3.5     2 u   25  512    73 232.661 483.476 285.616

The error bands on these two don't overlap so one, or both, of them has to
be bad.  I'm not sure why either of them are shown as selected, especially
as your subsequent ntpstat indicates that the * is on the local clock.
It might be that the jitter hasn't converged because of not yet having
received enough samples, and therefore the error tolerance being used
has been expanded; I'm still waiting for the NTPv4 specification.

I presume the difference between the two programs is that ntpstat was
run later, by which time ntpd had thrown both external servers out as
being insane.