[ntp:questions] Router Vendor + NTP

David Carne davidcarne at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 23:24:13 UTC 2005

C.P.T.N members,

I work for a small router vendor, and we're just about to release our
first product. We plan to use NTP to synchronize the times on our
devices, but we want to be good netizens, and run our own ntp
infrastructure for our devices.

Does anyone have any advice on this? AKA, expectations of what we'll
need in terms of bandwidth / what kind of server hardware we'll need?
We expect to have eventually 100k+ devices out there, and the devices
will probably synchronize one a week or so. [we have no need of really
really accurate timekeeping].

So in summary, do you all think I can do this with a single powerful
box? or should I do something with round robin dns load balancing?

Apologies for the intrusion, but after reading all the discussion about
how some router vendors abuse the system, we want to make sure we do
things the right way.

Sincerely,

David Carne