[ntp:questions] Router Vendor + NTP

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jun 10 03:21:54 UTC 2005

At 4:24 PM -0700 2005-06-09, David Carne wrote:

>  So in summary, do you all think I can do this with a single powerful
>  box? or should I do something with round robin dns load balancing?

	Take a look at the pages at
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringNTP>.  Ask yourself
what kind of NTP configuration your customers are likely to want/need
to have.  Then ask yourself how many time servers you're likely to
need to support them.

	My guess is that you're going to want multiple Stratum-1 NTP
servers, but they don't necessarily need to be monster machines.

	Indeed, careful selection of lower-powered machines with the
right hardware, right OS, right configuration, and right refclocks,
you are likely to be able to handle this job for relatively little
cash outlay -- most of your expense will be at the network level
(providing a sufficiently robust and high-performance network to
adequately serve your customers), and the time and effort required to
make this work well.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755