[ntp:questions] Re: How to handle leap second condition correctly?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sun Jun 12 02:08:50 UTC 2005

Dave,

I just re-read the draft 2030 spec and it says that the legal values for
stratum on a reply are 1-14.

0 is a KOD reply.  If an SNTP implementation is not sync'd to a refclock
I see no clear statement in the draft RCF that it should return a KOD reply.

I also do not understand why 15 is not listed as an allowed value in a
stratum response.  I would expect 15 to be returned from a sender at stratum
14.

Also, the draft SNTP RFC says:

 Stratum: This is a eight-bit unsigned integer indicating the stratum of the
 server or client, with values defined as follows:

   Stratum  Meaning
   0        kiss-o'-death message (see below)
   1        primary reference (e.g., synchronized by radio clock)
   2-15     secondary reference (synchronized by NTP or SNTP)
   16-255   reserved

The following seems better to me:

   Stratum  Meaning
   0        kiss-o'-death message (including SNTP client.  See below)
   1        primary reference (NTP or SNTP, synchronized, e.g., by radio clock)
   2-15     secondary reference (synchronized by NTP)
   16-255   reserved

I gather the IETF WG is the place to go over this stuff.