[ntp:questions] Re: How to handle leap second condition correctly?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Jun 12 15:59:24 UTC 2005

Harlan,

The legal values for stratum in rfc-1305 are 1-255 (see page 10).
Stratum 0 is intended as unknown or invalid. Strata 15 or 16 have no
particular interpretation other than as convention in the reference
implementation.  However, if a count-to-infinity hazard exists, use of
strata greater than a "small" number could be dangerous. That's why I
suggested strata 1-14 in rfc2030 for primary and secondary with 15-255
as reserved. The value 14 should be 15 to match the reference
implementation, but any choice is arbitrary. The point is that some
choice of "infinity" is necessary with the expectation that, should the
stratum equal or exceed infinity be mapped to zero.

Any distinction between NTP and SNTP with regard the on-wire protocol is
  misguided. They use the same protocol. My suggestion of default values
was intended to simplify the operation while preserving the same
timestamp calculations.

Dave