[ntp:questions] Re: What can be uses as an SNTP server

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sun Jun 12 20:34:12 UTC 2005

Good stuff.

I was talking about what I believe is the proposed "next" thing after 2030,
which I found at http://ntp.isc.org/Support/NTPRelatedRFCs .

I would hope that people interested in seeing improvement in the specs
and protocols would participate in the IETF WG, which is "organized" and
traking progress at http://ntp.isc.org/IETF/WebHome .

Finally, the LOCL clock stuff is interesting and seems to me to boil down to
tradeoffs with money (should we get time from the network or get at least
one refclock; should we get some sort of PPS or atomic clock?).  This is all
done in the name of "increasing the number of 9s".

The amount of thought and flexibility/robustness of the use of LOCL is again
all about "increasing the number of 9s".

As usual, I want to see sufficient mechanism to allow folks to implement
their local policy choices to get their desired "number of 9s".  Not too
much mechanism, and not too little.