[ntp:questions] Re: How to handle leap second condition correctly?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sun Jun 12 20:48:56 UTC 2005

Dave,

I thought you said in a recent previous posting that you wrote the follow-on
to the 2030 spec to state that an SNTP implementation that does not have an
attached refclock should advertise itself as stratum 0.

However, in this latest post you said:

 The legal values for stratum in rfc-1305 are 1-255 (see page
 10). Stratum 0 is intended as unknown or invalid.

It is not clear to me exactly what you mean.

I just reread that spec again and I do not see that you intend the stratum
discussion in 2030++ as a simplification of what is described in 1305.  As
written, the document communicates that the stuff described is what 1305
says and:

- if somebody reads 1305 as well they could well be confused
- if they do not read 1305 the will be confused

I suspect this is exactly the sort of thing that will be cleaned up in the
IETF process.