[ntp:questions] Re: Router Vendor + NTP

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 20:44:45 UTC 2005

In article <d8jv6q$6lq$1 at dewey.udel.edu>, David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

> PDF format. I'm not going to worry about that. Eventually the IETF will
> have no choice in the matter, as the IEEE and ACM and just about every
> archive in the world is PDF.

I really hope not.  PDF is a final form document language whereas one of
the good things about Postel ASCII is that it is easy to cut and
paste it.  (Properly authored PDF should allow copying of plain text,
but real life PDF is authored with tools that violate the authoring
guidelines.  Acrobat Reader does a remarkable job of compensating
for that, but it is not perfect.)

IEEE and ACM have been traditionally much more commercial organisations
than IETF, depending heavily on printed standards for revenue.  It
took a long time for them to even provide machine readable documents.