[ntp:questions] What can be uses as an SNTP server (was: How to handle leap second condition correctly?)

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 20:55:46 UTC 2005

In article <d8k02d$get$1 at dewey.udel.edu>,
David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

> rfc2030 was written before the language police facists came to town. I'm

I think you will find that IEEE have always been "language
fascists"!  It's unfortunately necessary when commerce is implementing,
because they will look for all the loopholes to cut their costs, and
their quality control will only fix errors of interpretation where
the strict letter has been violated; neither they nor their programmers
can be assumed to have any application domain knowledge.

> It is my intent that the NTPv4 spec should completely and utterly
> obsolere rfc1305. Any other course would be confusing, misleading and

I think you are confusing obsoleting a document with deprecating a
standard.  My understanding is that you can only obsolete RFC1305
if the new RFC doesn't invalidate conformant RFC 1305 implementations.
I think the most you can do is downgrade MUST to MAY and SHALL to
SHOULD.