[ntp:questions] Re: ntp sanity limit kills ntp daily

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 15:24:15 UTC 2005

Mark wrote:

> Colliermeister wrote:
>
>> Ulrich Windl wrote:

>> Might this help ? ...
>>
>> panic panic
>>     The argument is the panic threshold, by default 1000 s. If set to
>> zero, the panic sanity check is disabled and a clock offset of any
>> value will be accepted.
>>
>> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/miscopt.html
>

> Can someone explain why motherboard companies don't just
> spend an extra $2 and install real quartz based clocks on
> motherboards so all this nonsense about losing time would
> be a non-issue?
> ms

They do spend the $2 and there is a quartz crystal installed.  You don't
get much for $2 these days but it's not THAT bad!

The problem is not in the hardware but in the software.  The clock we
are talking about is the software clock maintained by the O/S.   The
hardware divides the crystal oscillator output by a programmable value
to produce "ticks" at some predictable rate 100 Hz, 1000 Hz, 1024 Hz or
whatever else struck the designer's fancy.  The "ticks" interrupt the
processor and the processor takes a couple of microseconds from whatever
it's doing to add one tick to the current time.  The O/S disables or
masks interrupts for short periods in order to perform some operation
that cannot be safely interrupted.  When interrupts are disabled for
more than one "tick" the clock loses one or more ticks.

Most, or all, versions of Windows and Linux exhibit this problem!  Other
operating systems; e.g. BSD and Solaris, do not.