[ntp:questions] Re: ntp sanity limit kills ntp daily

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Jun 14 20:24:38 UTC 2005

At 11:24 AM -0400 2005-06-14, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

>  They do spend the $2 and there is a quartz crystal installed.  You don't
>  get much for $2 these days but it's not THAT bad!

	Actually, it frequently is that bad.  But that's only part of the problem.

>  The problem is not in the hardware but in the software.

	There are problems with the quartz crystal oscillators.  There
are BIOS problems.  There are ACPI/APIC problems.  Those can all be
lumped into the "hardware problems" category, although some of them
may be able to be fixed with an update to the BIOS, changing the ACPI
or APIC configuration, etc....

>                                                            The clock we
>  are talking about is the software clock maintained by the O/S.

	The OS and the application fall into the "software problems"
category.  Again, some of them can be fixed, and others are not
practical to fix (i.e., it may not be possible to replace the OS with
something else and still run the necessary applications in the way
the customer wants).

>  Most, or all, versions of Windows and Linux exhibit this problem!
>  Other operating systems; e.g. BSD and Solaris, do not.

	The hardware problems are shared by all OSes using that same
hardware platform.

	The software problems are unique to a given OS platform and the
software running on that platform.  Unfortunately, as shipped by the
respective vendors, Linux frequently has more software problems in
this area than other OSes, but those should be able to be corrected
by generating a new kernel image with corrected value.  For Windows,
there's little you can do to fix the underlying problems at the OS
level.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755