[ntp:questions] Re: ntp sanity limit kills ntp daily

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Wed Jun 15 14:03:12 UTC 2005

> Michael Ward <michaelward at sprintmail.com> writes:

>>Hello All,

>>I've configured my FC3 system to run ntp successfully at boot time and ntp
>>seems to run successfully for about a day.  However, every night the clock
>>loses some 1200 seconds while the system is busy making backups. When ntp
>>figures this out, it refuses to update the clock because this is classified as
>>insane, and terminates.

As has ben discussed: this is only partly a hardware problem, and partly a software problem.

hwclock --hctosys

has been suggested.  My opinion (get things done now, figure out who to blame and shoot later)
is that the backup script should start at beginning, and stop at end, a small script that does

while `true`;do hwclock --hctosys;sleep 1;done

This will keep the system time up-to-the-second, so ntp doesn't go berserk.

Also, the backup itself should be 'nice'd to permit the hwclock script to run, of course.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

the system manager.