[ntp:questions] Trimble Acutime/Palisade & Solaris

Steve Mueller smuellerPLEASE at NOsbcSPAM.com
Wed Jun 15 18:59:30 UTC 2005

The NTPd distribution as maintained by ISC.
The driver docs for Type 29 clocks (Trimble AcuTime/Palisade)
mention setting the serial I/O port to very specific settings.
9600 baud, 8bit, odd parity, 1 stop

Reading the UNIX serial port resources done up by Stokely
Consulting (thanks a bunch Celeste; helpful stuff) I understand
where these changes need to be made and I believe I understand
what settings save how to tell the system what serial port (B)
these settings apply to.

I did create a symbolic link from /dev/cua/b to /dev/palisade0
as indicated in the documentation available.

I don't suppose anyone has a ttydefs line at the tip of some fingers?
This is what I have:
contty:9600 oddp opost onlcr:9600 sane oddp hupcl::contty1
It's not correct, but for the life of me I haven't been able to get
going in the right direction. Pointers are very much appreciated.

I was able to get this clock breathing, but errors came flying by:
Jun  9 19:39:21 st1gs-ntp ntpd[614]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] frequency
error 512 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM

That could have been due to several factors, bad serial cabling or my
failure to successfully configure the port. Needless to say, timing
isn't working yet.

This is my first time playing with hardware clocks. It shows huh

Thanks,
Steve