[ntp:questions] Re: Configuration the interval time for clock synchronization

CBee I.Dont at want.your.spam
Thu Jun 16 15:00:28 UTC 2005

Egon Schmid wrote:

>> What problem are you trying to solve?
>

> I have a linux system running under virtual pc, and when I end it with
> 'safe state', the system time stands of it still. When I
>
> So the best solution would be a script or a service the synchronizes the
> time every mine.
>
> Best Greetings
>
> Egon Schmid

With those virtual machines, it is better to use some kind of broadcast clock
(from the host?) so time is set at regular intervals.

VMWare has an option to set the guests (bios-)clock of the guest in sync with
the hosts os-clock. This works verry nice and the clock is always good.

Only in cases where the guest does not seem to get in sync, it most times falls
behind. I have seen over a minute in 10 minutes. Sinchronizing from the guest
did not solve the problem since the sync will be late as well.

My idea is to let the host do a broadcast so that goes at a regular interfal.
Now the clients only have to listen for the ticks and off they go.

CBee