[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd not synchronizing

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Mon Jun 27 17:16:54 UTC 2005

On 2005-06-27, Hal Murray <hmurray at suespammers.org> wrote:

> Is anybody working on code to automatically add restrict rules to let
> answers in from servers/peers?
>
> Is there a trick for using restrict with the pool servers?

Run your ntpd behind a stateful firewall or NAT so that it just isn't
accessible to the outside world.

or

Add your pool servers, and the associated restrictions, on the fly
with ntpdc after ntpd starts up

or

Perform your pool server lookups and rewrite your ntp.conf before
starting ntpd

> Seems like a script at startup time could do the DNS lookups and
> substitute the answer into ntp.conf in two places - one for the server
> line and another for the restrict line.

I seem to recall that someone has written such a script and mentioned it
on the newsgroup...