[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd not synchronizing

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 18:36:35 UTC 2005

Hal Murray wrote:

>>You can't use 'restrict default ignore' in conjunction with the NTP Pool
>>servers (or any other time server which can resolve to a potentially
>>unlimited number of IP addresses).
>>

>I was getting ready to ask about that...
>
>Is anybody working on code to automatically add restrict rules
>to let answers in from servers/peers?
>
>Is there a trick for using restrict with the pool servers?
>
>Seems like a script at startup time could do the DNS lookups
>and substitute the answer into ntp.conf in two places - one
>for the server line and another for the restrict line.

It could certainly be done that way, at least on a case by case basis.
I believe, though, that writing a script that would execute correctly on
any Unix, Linux, Windows, etc, platform  is probably not feasible!

The better way to do it for all platforms would be to add code to modify
the proper data structures to allow ntpd to accept reply   packets from
anything declared as a server or peer.  I believe it's on the "to do" list.