[ntp:questions] Re: SNTP Server Question

jassy2005 at gmail.com jassy2005 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 11:34:18 UTC 2005

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> It is much better to use an ntp server for your sntp clients.
>
> If you want an SNTP server, that server must get its time directly from
> a reference source.  I am unaware of any SNTP code that actually will
> take its time from a reference source.

Thanks for your reply Harlan.
If I am not wrong and as I understood RFC 2030 I can use a local clock
(LOCL) as SNTP server reference. - correct me if I am wrong
Following is the excerpt from RFC 2030.

Code     External Reference Source
      LOCL     uncalibrated local clock used as a primary reference for
               a subnet without external means of synchronization
      PPS      atomic clock or other pulse-per-second source
               individually calibrated to national standards
      ACTS     NIST dialup modem service
      USNO     USNO modem service
      PTB      PTB (Germany) modem service
      TDF      Allouis (France) Radio 164 kHz
      DCF      Mainflingen (Germany) Radio 77.5 kHz
      MSF      Rugby (UK) Radio 60 kHz
      WWV      Ft. Collins (US) Radio 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 MHz
      WWVB     Boulder (US) Radio 60 kHz
      WWVH     Kaui Hawaii (US) Radio 2.5, 5, 10, 15 MHz
      CHU      Ottawa (Canada) Radio 3330, 7335, 14670 kHz
      LORC     LORAN-C radionavigation system
      OMEG     OMEGA radionavigation system
      GPS      Global Positioning Service
      GOES     Geostationary Orbit Environment Satellite

Actually my device would be a microcontroller based which has it's own
clock. So would not that be possible. Also I surfed through www.ntp.org
I could only find Java implementation of SNTP client.

Any help from your side would be much appreciated.
Thanks again!!
Jassy