[ntp:questions] Why do clients reject win 2003 ntp server?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Thu Jun 30 15:54:24 UTC 2005

weage98 at yahoo.com said:

>I've been having problems on and off with ntpd not syncing to a Windows
>2003 server.  Here is the config file:
>
>server warad01.global.arup.com
>driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
>broadcastdelay  0.008

broadcastdelay is only needed if you're a broadcastclient.

>keys /etc/ntp/keys

You don't need to specify the keys file unless you designate the
trusted, request, and/or control keys _and_ actually populate the
keys file.

>     remote   refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset jitter
> 10.164.10.1  10.3.10.3   2 u    2   64  377    0.352  3363.48  2.525

The peer is discarded as unreachable, synchronized to this server (synch
loop) or outrageous synchronization distance.

>There are no errors or warnings in the syslog.  This client has been up
>for about ten days.  None of the "reject" reasons seem to apply except
>for maybe "outrageous synchronization distance", which does not seem to
>be described anywhere in the documentation.

Your "server" is 3,363 milliseconds off. I'd start by fixing that.

NTP Public Services Project http://ntp.isc.org/
Public Key at http://ntp.isc.org/Users/SteveKostecke